This Fall Semester Jewish Nightlife will return to UC Berkeley, and feature weekly workshops with the internationally acclaimed artist, Victoria Hanna (Jerusalem). The course will include history, performance, ethnographic fieldwork, and an in-depth study of Jewish protective amulets from The Magnes Collection.
Find out how to register here, stay tuned for more information, and enjoy Victoria Hanna’s video, 22 Letters:
Check out our #Unfinal class presentation (Thursday, December 18, 5 PM, at The Magnes) on Facebook!
Full video of the concert by Ensemble Tafilalt (Jerusalem) with Yair Harel at The Magnes, UC Berkeley, on November 13, 2014.
On the occasion of the final response exercise for Jewish Nightlife this Fall Semester, all students are asked to reflect on and practice FIELD WORK, by completing the following:
- Work in chavruta (pairs) by re-composing the same pairs of students already created on the occasion of our Mid-term exam
- Access this document via bDrive (you already know the drill…) at this shortened URL: http://bit.ly/JNLResponse4
- Formulate the three extremely focused questions:
- Jewish music and art: one question for Yair Harel (investigate his personal/artistic background, his knowledge and skills)
- Jewish music and research: one question for Francesco Spagnolo (investigate his personal/academic background, his knowledge and skills)
- Fieldwork of the Self: one question addressing your personal relationship with the specific piyyut that is assigned to your chavruta on the basis of the following parameters
- text of piyyut
- music of piyyut
- culture of origin of piyyut
- own culture(s) of chavruta partners
- Post your three questions (preceded by the names of each chavruta partners) on this document no later than Tuesday, December 2nd, at Noon
Select questions will be discussed and answered by the instructors on the last day of class, on Wednesday, December 3rd.